Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chicken Alberghetti

A friend brought this to me after one of my babies was born. I  loved it!  Tonight, I used my cast iron skillet to brown the chicken, then poured heated sauce around it, covered it and stuck it right in the oven.  It cooked faster (30 minutes total in the oven), and clean up was easy!

Chicken Alberghetti

26 oz can of Spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup half n half

3-4 pieces of white bread, broken in pieces
1 egg, beaten
4 chicken breasts (sliced in half if large)

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 
1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese (optional)
1/2 cup grated parmesan

Dilute spaghetti sauce with half n half and pour in 9x13 dish. Place bread in blender. Blend until in crumbs. Place crumbs in shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg, then in crumbs. Brown chicken in oil over medium high heat.

Nestle chicken in sauce and top each piece with cheeses. Bake at 300 degress for 30 minutes covered, 15 minutes uncovered. Serve with spaghetti noodles. 

Served with green salad and Best Breadsticks.

2 comments:

  1. Simple alterations to make this easier now:
    milk, cream, or half and half all work
    I use bread crumbs and parmesan cheese along with fresh breadcrumbs to make a coating, and I bake it 20-30 minutes in the oven BEFORE I put the sauce in, instead of browning it in oil - it's just faster and less messy. Then, I top with cheese and pour the sauce around it. Bake additionally until sauce bubbles and chicken is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family's favorite way now is more like chicken parmesan... I pound the chicken pieces flat, coat in flour, beaten eggs, bread crumbs and parmesan and garlic seasoning; brown in oil; nestle in sauce in baking pan, top with cheeses, bake until chicken cooked thru. Serve over noodles.

    ReplyDelete