Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crepes

This is my children's favorite and most requested 'special day' breakfast.  We do this on birthdays, for rewards, etc.  I have figured out how to cook them on the griddle as well. . . it's a bit tricky, but I can now pour three crepe portions on the big family griddle, pick it up and turn it to spread the batter and effectively cook four (including the crepe pan on the stove) crepes at a time!  Until I figured this out, this was not a very practical breakfast for our large family!

Crepes
Heat skillet over medium high heat.  Melt a little butter in the pan, and coat the pan, including up the sides a little. (I also heat and spread butter on the griddle.)

Combine in blender:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk

1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
extra butter for skillet

Blend until smooth.
Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot buttered skillet (griddle).  (I used a stick of butter and rub it over the skillet and griddle before each batch.)  Rotate skillet until batter spreads very thinly all around.  Cook until light brown on the bottom.  Use a rubber scraper to help you lift the edge.  Turn over and cook briefly on the other side. Serve immediately.

Fill with your choice--fruit, cream, applesacue, jam, etc.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.  My kids' favorite is Reddi-whip and cinnamon sugar.  I like canned peaches and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment